Monday, March 1, 2010

Marked Women, Unmarked Men

What an interesting essay. The author went into great and thoughtful detail to denote to the reader why she felt the women at the conference were "marked". In an almost Sherlock Holmes style she took us step by step into the female marking process. While she did not leave the males out of her observations, she did use their dress and styling as a classic example of why she felt they remained "unmarked".

Lets start with women. I agree that women tend to be more suspect to "marking" than the male gender. Her reference to the surname battle is a prime example. In my career I have met many women who had difficulties in deciding whether or not to take the husband's surname at marriage. If they did, I would agree that it "marked" them as married when introduced with the hyphenated surname. I will agree that a woman's title of Miss, Ms. and Mrs. marks them as well as opposed to the man's Mr. title.

What I did agree with was how women's dress, hairstyle, makeup and the like marks them as well. I also realize that this form of marking can be deceiving as well in both men and women. While a woman's marking may tell us what they want us to think and feel, is it a true reflection of how they really feel? Could it be that a woman's dress is more cultural than personal. That the decision to wear high heels on a hiking excursion more lack of experience then personal expression? I wonder.

Regarding males, while I agree that cultural norms have given men more latitude in remaining somewhat less marked, I disagree that all men aren't marked. From hairstyles, presence or lack of facial hair, body build, clothing and accessories are just the tip of the ice burg. Just as women may be more perceptive to other women's marking, males might be more perceptive of other male markings. While males may not "mark" as women, they mark with mannerisms and positioning. My observation is that males are more apt to position themselves in meetings and classrooms depending on their personal position regarding the subject, other participants, especially other males. This takes place by room seating choices, folding of arms, positioning of their body towards others by displaying or not displaying their power side. The power side is which ever side is dominant for that individual.

While I don't agree completely with the author, I think her point is extremely valid. To say I haven't personally utilized those markings in my lifetime regarding personality, status, whether or not to approach, or other perceptional labelling would not be true. Just as I look for other signs of marking that she didn't touch on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers